Everything Is Grace

Everything is a grace, everything is the direct effect of our Father's love—difficulties, contradictions, humiliations, all the soul's miseries, her burdens, her needs - everything, because through them, she learns humility, realizes her weakness - Everything is a grace because everything is God's gift. Whatever be the character of life or its unexpected events—to the heart that loves, all is well. - St. Therese of Lisieux

As a young girl, I have prayed to St. Therese for all kinds of requests. I was given a prayer card by my grandmother (I think) and diligently said the novena until my request was granted. 

"St. Therese, the Little Flower, please pick me a rose from the heavenly garden and send it to me with a message of love. Ask God to grant me the favor I thee implore and tell him I will love him each day more and more."

After the short prayer I would say 5 Our Father’s, 5 Hail Mary’s, and 5 Glory Be’s. They must be said on 5 successive days before 11:00 am. If I missed a day, I would start over. And on the 5th day the 5th set of prayers having been completed, the prayer card instructed to offer one more set of 5 Our Father’s, 5 Hail Mary’s and 5 Glory Be’s.


Sometimes, even before the five days were over, my small requests were granted. I have forgotten what those requests were but they must have something to do with school.

Then I entered college, lost my prayer card and completely forgotten about the Little Flower prayer.

But a few years ago, a friend quoted St. Therese "Everything is grace..." and advised me to see the good in every situation - no matter how difficult or painful it was. And I tried, and I searched for grace. And I discovered that everything indeed was grace. 


I began to read about St. Therese and was inspired by her words! I have yet to get myself a copy of her Autobiography The Story of A Soul and Everything is Grace: The Life and Way of St. Therese Lisieux.

I hope to share more about her in my next posts.

Meanwhile, be also inspired by some of her quotes.

How has St. Therese inspired you?