7 Day July Challenge Day 5

It has been raining lately so we took a break form the challenge and kept ourselves busy indoors. The next challenge is:

Practice pouring water from a pitcher into cups. Take it outside!

Since this activity involved water, I decided to wait until the sun shined to do it.

My little one loves to play with water so this activity was a hit.

I prepared a basin of water too so he could just get water from there when his pitcher was empty.




He would pour all of the water out in just one cup though.



This is such a fun way for him to learn how to pour. We have practiced pouring water into his sippy cup a couple of times too. He gets the plastic water container from the refrigerator, pulls a low stool to the kitchen counter,  carefully climbs on it, asks me to flip open the lid of the water container and carefully pours.  We have only done it a couple of times because I think its just too messy! Hahaha!




We will be doing this activity outdoors many more times and maybe soon, indoors. 


After several minutes of pouring exactly how I showed him, he decides to go crazy.

This activity helps your child develop eye-hand coordination - he has to hold the pitcher above the cup to get the water in; fine motor skills - he has to control the amount of water he puts in; concentration - to accomplish the first two tasks; estimation - so he still has water for the rest of the cups; and lastly, independence - he will be able to pour himself a drink when he is thirsty.

I had some resistance calling him in the house to get cleaned up. So I told him that he could still play for a few minutes. I think he was really challenged by the activity.

After a few minutes, I talked to him about the activity. It was more of me asking the questions and him answering 'opo' (Filipino way of saying yes respectfully, especially to elders) or 'no'. I described what he was doing and how he was doing it. I reminded him that it was almost time to clean up and assured him that we will do the activity again soon. 

Surprisingly, without even asking him to stop, he collected all the cups and gave them to me. So I sang our clean up song and we happily went in the house to get ready for nap.