7 Day July Challenge: Day 1

We've joined Jaime in her 7 day July challenge on Hands On As We Grow.


I decided to join this challenge because like any parent who wants to be hands on with their child, I want to have at least one activity with my toddler each day. The more activities, the more memories!

The first challenge was to go biking or walking around the neighborhood. 

Our family does morning and afternoon walks almost everyday so this would be easy. So I added a little more challenge for myself. Be extra patient, walk a little slower than before, stop and marvel at whatever the toddler is marveling at. 

Teo on his car, not the jeep, dawdling again. Photo taken a few months back.
Our son's curiosity is insatiable. While he 'drives' his foot powered jeep, given to him by my husband's sister, his generous godmother; me and my husband walk. We take our dog too. Our curious toddler goes in front of us at the beginning but then dawdles after a few minutes. He stops to pick up a stone, or a coat button daisy (which grows everywhere in our neighborhood) and puts it inside the jeep's compartment. 



So this afternoon, we did our usual walk. One curious toddler on a jeep, a nanay and a tatay who will walk a little slower to marvel at the little things we see along the way.

I said an extra prayer today to ask God for the grace to be more patient and to open my eyes to see what my son sees during our walks.

It took us 30 minutes to walk around the block! But it was worth it. 

It had been raining lately and the soil is wet. So we saw big earthworms and snails. Of course we stopped to look at them. And talk about them too. 

There was the usual rocks, leaves and sticks to be picked up and my husband and I took the opportunity to talk about those too.

Our son still has very limited expressive vocabulary but works so hard to get his message through. So we take every chance we get to 'use words'.

We ended our walk all happy and dirty.