Celebrating Pentecost With Family



In 2019 to 2022, the entire world experienced a pandemic which brought back many souls to God. Whether it be returning back to the Faith or 'returning to The Creator' 
So as a family, it is apt that we continue to celebrate Pentecost at home while celebrating in our parishes not just by attending mass on Pentecost Sunday but also by joining in the Novenas and retreats your parish has for all parishioners. It's good to be back in the physical church, isn't it?

We are all still under ECQ and just like Easter, our family will be celebrating Pentecost inside our home. I have planned a few activities and a simple menu to make this church feast memorable and meaningful. Teo and I will again go live on my FB page to do some Pentecost Arts and Crafts. Let me share what Tatay and Noli planned but first a little information about Pentecost to share with the family during the course of the season.

PENTECOST is a celebrated on the 49th day (or Seventh Sunday) after Easter. It is when the Holy Spirit Descended on the apostles. It is the birthday of the church! The word Pentecost is a Greek word meaning 50th day. At mass, the priest wears red vestments. 




Teo's acrylic painting of the Descent of The Holy Spirit, 2019

Reading of the Gospel: Everyday, when we are about to finish breakfast, I read the Gospel for the day and each one of us tries to narrate back what we heard. Teo will say a few phrases - verbatim, and then add a couple of sentences in his own words. I am next and then it is Tatay Noli's turn. 

On Sunday, we will do the same thing we always do. I think its a good activity to listen to God's word as a family first thing on this day as it sets the tone for the rest of the day.

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples[a] were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side.[b] The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 [c][Jesus] said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” 22 [d]And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. 23 [e]Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

-Jn. 20:1--23

You may also read the story of the coming of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:1-13) as a family. We plan to do this before lunch time after we pray the Regina Coeli (Queen of Heaven); wearing the tongues of fire hats we made last year.

I also read a loud a short poem and we sing (or learn) a hymn during morning basket. I have chosen to read The Golden Sequence or "Veni Sancte Spiritus", it  is a sequence prescribed in the Roman Liturgy for the Masses of Pentecost and its octave, exclusive of the following Sunday. (source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veni_Sancte_Spiritus)


I have made a poster so we can recite it everyday for the whole week. You can download and print a copy for yourself here

For elementary aged children, you may want to do copywork for this. I have a Catholic Copy work blank pages printable at my TpT store. It has a few graphics and white spaces so the children can color or draw.



Veni, Sancte Spiritus
Come, Holy Spirit

 Arts & Crafts. In 2018, our family made tongues of fire hats. You can find the materials and how to make it, here.

The following year, we used the tongues of fire templates to make paper flames and write down each Gift of The Holy Spirit on it. They are still hung on our son's wall to this day.



He goes back to it once in a while, but now we are training to be dragon slayers, it will be handy most of the time.

We are currently listening to Sir Roland, the Dragon Slayer on Catholic Sprouts and both my son and I are hooked! 

Already, I am practicing my morning 'wake-up line' "Rise and shine my night in shining armor! We're slaying dragons today!" - I have always wanted to say that. Really. Now I get to say it each morning - until our son is old enough to think its corny.
Look at Art. If making art is not your family's favorite thing, you may want to try looking at art. at Formed.org website, there is a show that talks about Sacred Art and allows you to look at the art of the greatest artists ever while reflecting on Scripture or a dogma, maybe. If you have not yet joined the community yet, I encourage you to do so because it is rich with God's word. There is also Sacred Art For Kids so the little ones can also join in the fun. This week, before Pentecost, we will watch Pentecost, Sacred Art. Let me tell you, this activity will make the Gospel come alive and each member will have something to ponder on.

Food. We will have pancakes for breakfast. I will just stick a candle on a stack of pancakes and light it. Then, we will sìng the happy birthday song for all of us, the Church.
 For our lunch, I will make spaghetti (which is red, to represent fire) with lots of cheese on top (which is yellow, another color of fire). I will use tuna in water for the meat and will also add minced green and red bell pepper to the sauce. I usually use canned plum tomatoes and half a brick of tomato paste to make the sauce for 800g pack of pasta. Five to 6 cloves of minced garlic and an onion goes into the sauce too. Our family loves garlic. 

Here's another version of a red sauce pasta recipe. Cooked by Johanna, the youngest daughter of our good friends in the community, Mccoy and Lhenne.






Here is where I get some of the activities we do and recipes we cook during feasts.
https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/activities/view.cfm?id=102

Here is where our family got some amazing Pentecost activities in the past years.
https://www.catholicicing.com/category/pentecost/?fbclid=IwAR1xlJD9DgekB_y7GUXqMadfUczCn3GzbYDxIl8inm_4CHYd_IXUjYGjFpc

And the most important. Don't forget to attend mass with your family.

Share the love!
Don't forget to tag @everythingisgodsgift or @teacherweena on your photos of your crafts and on FB and @everythngsgrace and @teacherweena on Instagram.
You may also send me photos on my inbox and I will feature them on my wall.

God bless you!

Weena