Celebrating The Feast of St. Anthony of Padua, Patron Saint of Lost Items

St. Anthony is very special to our family. It was the surname given to our son 'T' after he was found in the church named after the saint where he was left by his alleged mother. I believe that God had orchestrated everything, from when and where he was to be left and found and eventually come into our lives.

St. Anthony is the patron of lost items. Whenever I lose or couldn’t find something I say a short prayer to him and eventually I would find what I am looking for. 

On the night we were to leave Doha for a one month vacation back in the Philippines, we searched for my husband’s work contract which he needed to get his OEC (Overseas Employment Certificate) in the Philippines. I thought I have kept it in the envelope for all our documents but it was not there. I prayed to St. Anthony to help me find it. And, 10 minutes before our taxi arrived, I remembered that I placed some documents in the pocket of my luggage when we transferred flats. So there I found it. Ha! it was already there!

St. Anthony became more endearing to us when 'T' came into our lives. Maybe in the process of discerning if we should adopt, I have said a prayer to him, to bring to us a child who is in need of a family.

So today, we celebrate the feast day of St. Anthony of Padua. We will be talking about him most of the day and will include a prayer to him in our nightly prayers.

I have also planned a simple activity to include in our daily Bible time. I hope you can do it with your little ones as well.


Feast of St. Anthony of Padua Activity


You can find prayers to St. Anthony here  and here

Here is a picture of St. Anthony which I painted. You can download for free and print to use when learning about St. Anthony of Padua.

Have you ever prayed to St. Anthony when you could not find something you were looking for? Were you able to find it?