Celebrating Good Shepherd Sunday With Family


 Here are a few ideas on how to celebrate Good Shepherd Sunday with your family.

Begin with the story

The Sunday Gospel comes from the Gospel of John 10:11-18

I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. A hired man, who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and scatters them. This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd. This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father.”

Read the Gospel or story from your favorite Children's Bible or from the Bible itself. In our Charlotte Mason homeschool, we do narrations and so each member of the family, including the principal (Tatay aka Dad) narrates back. Then we each say a part or a phrase we liked best or has struck in some way. Then we explain why. The reading of the Sunday Gospel in our family happens after breakfast when everyone is done and before the table is cleared. For families with young children, this can be done while the younger ones are still eating (and probably still on their high chairs). I have a read-aloud video of the Lion's Children's Bible on my YT channel if you want to listen and see pictures.

Find The Sheep Game

Ask a family member to be the shepherd and another one to be the sheep.If you have a stuffed sheep toy, that can be hidden by another family member so the 'shepherd' can find his sheep. 



Its very similar to the game of hide and seek but only two members play at a time. Have the 'shepherd' close his eyes and count up to twenty (or more for the littlest ones to hide) and then try to find the sheep. Play until all members had their turn.

If the littlest ones are doing the finding, the 'sheep' in hiding may say a little "Baaaa!" to hint the little shepherds of their hiding place.

Table Activities

Younger children can color Jesus hugging a sheep which can be found in my Good Shepherd Sunday Activity pages while the older ones can use it to practice their watercolor, colored pencil shading techniques and memorize the Scripture verse printed on the page.

      

There is also a maze, and prayers to cut and laminate or paste on your Liturgical Living, or prayer journals.


Thank Your Parish Priest, Pray For All Priests and Pray for Priestly Vocations

You can also ask the whole family to make a Tank you card to give to your Parish priest. Since most of the world is still on lockdown or under enhanced restrictions, you can always take a photo and send it to your parish priest through email or other social media platforms.


Pray for your parish priest, and all the priest you know. Pray for the priest that baptized you, your children and your spouse - if you know them, Pray for the priest who officiated your marriage, your children's First Holy Communion and Confirmation. Pray all priests in general. Pray for them not only on Good Shepherd Sunday but on all days. Our priests are just like us, they get tempted and maybe much more because the enemy knows that they are doing God's work. 

You may find other prayers for priests and vocations here:

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=169

https://www.usccb.org/committees/clergy-consecrated-life-vocations/prayers-vocations

https://vocationnetwork.org/en/articles/show/489-prayer-card-pope-francis-prayer-for-vocations


CELEBRATE WITH FOOD

If you are up to the challenge, why nor cook roasted lamb for Sunday dinner. My good friend Kuya Mccoy has a YT video tutorial. You might want to try it.

I will try to make shepherd's pie this year. The recipes I am choosing from are fond here:

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/recipes/view.cfm?id=1543

https://www.simplecatholicliving.com/uncategorized/shepherds-pie-recipe


Have a Blessed Good Shepherd Sunday. Please Let me know in the comments how yours went. I would love to hear from you.

God bless you!